Cefotime 250 IM/IV: Each vial contains Cefotaxime 250 mg (as sterile powder of Cefotaxime Sodium BP).
Cefotime 500 IM/IV: Each vial contains Cefotaxime 500 mg (as sterile powder of Cefotaxime Sodium BP).
Cefotime 1 gm IM/IV: Each vial contains Cefotaxime 1 gm (as sterile powder of Cefotaxime Sodium BP).
• Lower respiratory tract infections, including pneumonia, acute or chronic bronchitis, bronchiectasis, lung abscess and post-operative chest infections.
- Urinary tract infections, including acute and chronic pyelonephritis, cystitis and asymptomatic bacteriuria.
- Obstetric & gynecological infections, including pelvic inflammatory disease.
- Septicemia / Bacteremia
- Skin and soft tissue infections, such as - cellulitis, wound infections.
- Intra-abdominal infections including peritonitis.
- Bone and joint infections, e.g. osteomyelitis, septic arthritis.
- Central nervous system infections, e.g. meningitis.
- Uncomplicated gonorrhea, particularly when penicillin has failed or is unsuitable.
- Surgical prophylaxis: The administration of Cefotaxime prophylactically may reduce the incidence of certain post-operative infections in patients undergoing surgical procedures that are classified as contaminated or potentially contaminated or in clean operation where infection would have serious effects.
The recommended dosage for mild to moderate infections is 1 gm every 12 hourly. However, dosage may be varied according to the severity of infection, sensitivity of causative organisms and condition of the patient. In severe infections dosage may be increased up to 12 gm daily given in 3 or 4 divided doses. For infections caused by sensitive Pseudomonas spp. daily doses of greater than 6 gm will usually be required.
The usual dosage range is 100-150 mg/kg/day in 2 to 4 divided doses. However, in very severe infections doses of up to 200 mg/kg/day may be required.
The recommended dosage is 50 mg/kg/day in 2 to 4 divided doses. In severe infections 150-200 mg/kg/day in divided doses have been given.
A single injection of 1 gm may be administered intramuscularly or intravenously.
Immediately prior to surgery, a single dose of 1 gm is suitable for most of the procedures. For procedures longer than 4 hours a dose of 2 gm is recommended.
Because of extra-renal elimination, it is only necessary to reduce the dosage of Cefotaxime in severe renal failure (GFR<5 ml/min = serum creatinine approximately 751 micromol/litre). After an initial loading dose of 1 gm, daily dose should be halved without change in the frequency of dosing.
Direction for reconstitution
For reconstitution purpose add water for injection BP as per the following chart:
Route 250 mg 500 mg 1 gm
IM 2 ml 2 ml 3 ml
IV 2-5 ml 2-10 ml 4-10 ml
Cefotaxime may be administered by intravenous infusion. 1-2 grams are dissolved in 40-100 ml of water for injection BP or 0.9% Sodium Chloride injection BP or 5% Dextrose injection BP. The prepared infusion should be administered over 20-60 minutes.
Cefotime 500 mg IM/IV injection: Pack of 1 vial contains sterile Cefotaxime USP 500 mg as Cefotaxime Sodium accompanied by a solvent ampoule of 10 ml water for injection and a sterile disposable syringe (10 ml)
Cefotime 1 gm IM/IV injection: Pack of 1 vial contains sterile Cefotaxime USP 1 gm as Cefotaxime Sodium accompanied by a solvent ampoule of 10 ml water for injection and a sterile disposable syringe (10 ml).